I believe the only way you can truly rely on God is to know Him through His Word and stay connected to Him through prayer. Philippians 4:6 makes it very clear to pray about everything. Ok, now no one said this is going to be easy. We are women, and yes we respond to every little thing that goes on in our lives. However, it needs to start with us so we can be the examples to our family. One thing I do before I get out of bed in the morning and that is pray and give Him thanks for letting me wake up to see another beautiful day and for him to go forth and remove all the obstacles for that day. It is important to give God a fresh opportunity to speak to us each morning. When we are diligent in setting this time apart for Him, our inward attitude can be of meekness from the very start.
To name a few examples of men in the Bible who prayed in the morning:
- In Gen 19:27 – Abraham got up early in the morning to the place where he stood before the Lord.
- Gen 28:18a – Jacob rose up early in the morning.
- Acts 5:21a – The disciples entered into the temple early in the morning.
- Mark 1:35 – Even Jesus, though he was God, met with His heavenly father in the morning.
Though many of us do not realize it, at times we have problems in our souls because we do not make it a priority to spend time with God every day. It is so easy to become overwhelmed by daily pressures and yet, Jesus does not want anyone to be occupied with the problems, instead He wants us to be occupied with His provision. Someone once told me about the five finger prayer, I never heard of it until then but it made sense to me and I use this every day.
- Thumb – Pray for the people who are close to you.
- Point Finger – Pray for people that are our teachers.
- Middle Finger- Pray for those who are in authority in our lives.
- Ring Finger – Pray for people who are sick.
- Pinky – Pray for people who are in need.
Remember prayer is not telling God what to do, prayer is partnering with God to see that His will is done. You don’t have to understand what God’s will is in order to pray that His will be done.
Written By: Barbara Roth